***Oct 28, 2017 Community Rally for New Schools Funding ***
We urge you to get informed and take 5 minutes to phone/ email our government representatives.
Our school district is very overcrowded and need new schools/ expansions urgently. We must get school construction/ capital spending into the 2018 budget. Please note MLAs Bruce Ralston and Jagrup Brar are on Treasury Board.
- Handout to media and parents: Let’s Build Schools NOW.
- Contact List for Treasury Board, all Surrey MLAs, Minister of Education, Finance and Premier.
- SD36 School enrollment, capacity and portables on site (searchable by school)
- SD36 2018-19 5-year Capital Plan
- SD36 List of out-of-catchment schools.
All general meetings are held on the 4th Wednesday monthly (except December and March) at the District Education Centre 14033 92nd Ave. Rm 2020, from 7:00 to 9:00pm, Registration at 6:45pm. Light Refreshments Available.
Please be reminded to register your school with DPAC to vote on GM decisions and give the DPAC direction on issues to advocate on your school’s behalf and represent your parent voice.
- September 27 – School District Updates from Deputy Superintendent, Rick Ryan
- October 25 – PAC/ Finance 101
- November 22 – Communicating Student Learning (CSL)
- Nov 25, 2017 Agenda
- Prior – GM Minutes – Oct 2017
- President’s Report – Nov 2017
- Treasurer’s Report (Verbal)
- Antonio Vendramin, District Principal: Powerpoint Presentation on CSL
- ***PACs: Dec 15, 2015 is the deadline to register with BCCPAC to vote at the 2018 spring Conference/ AGM on May 4 – 6, 2018 at Pacific Gateway Hotel in Richmond, BC. Membership is $75. Online registration at: http://bccpac.bc.ca/registration/
- December – no meeting, Merry Christmas and Have a Wonderful Winter Break!
- January 24 – DPAC C&B Review, Hub Cycling: Bike to School Week May 28 to June 1, 2018
- February 28 – Internet Safety
- March – no meeting
- April 25
- May 23 – GM/ AGM/ Election
“Every parent is welcome. Please bring a friend.”
2016-17 DPAC General Meetings:
Wednesday September 26, 2016 – Parent Information/ Education Forum
A forum to encourage open discussion to help DPAC implement and follow-up on suggestions and recommendations from the Sept 2015 Forum, our priorities for meeting topics and planned DPAC activities for the 2016-17 school year. How can DPAC most effectively engage with Surrey parents? How would you like to provide input to the Surrey school district budget?
- Sept 28, 2016 GM Agenda
- May 2016 Meeting Minutes
- Sep 2016 Powerpoint Presentation
- Experiences Canada 150&Me shaping our future
- Handouts (K Thomson):
- SD 36 Policy 10305 – Schools Protection Program (SPP) Insurance Coverage – Parents’ Advisory Councils
- SPP Article: Contracts – Fairness is What Both Parties Should Expect
- SPP Article: Contracts – Indemnities in Disguise
- The Legal Edge: The Risks of Waiving Contract Insurance
- Examples of templates and agreements:
- Party Works – Surrey Schools Contract Template
- Chantrell Creek Event Agreement
- Reference Documents from Sep15 GM
- Sep16 GM Approved Minutes
Wednesday October 26, 2016 – PAC and Finance 101, Student Insurance
A general overview of how to run a school PAC from finances and budgeting to how to run an effective meeting. It is a great opportunity for PAC reps to network and share strategies as well as get some input about their specific PAC related questions and concerns.
- Oct 26 2016 GM Agenda
- Oct GM Presentation: PAC and Finance 101
- PAC 101 Manual
- 10303 Policy on PAC Fundraising
- PAC Accounting Best Practices
- PAC Financials Controls Checklist
- Societies Act Transition Guide (New Societies Act comes into effect on Nov 28, 2016)
- Kids Plus Accident Insurance 2016-17 Voluntary Plan
November 23, 2016 – Curriculum/ Reporting Options and Guidelines
Discussion about the New Curriculum & Assessment, Reporting Options and Guidelines in the District.
- Nov 23 2016 GM Agenda
- BC’s New Curriculum
- Parent feedback/ input on reporting sought by February 28, 2017.
- Antonio Vendramin’s presentation:
- Our CSL (Communicating Student Learning) site: https://www.surreyschools.ca/
- To help those reading the article, when “formative assessment practices” are mentioned, what the authors are referring to is:
- Learning Intentions (sharing with students what they will be or should be learning)
- Criteria (what does “good” look like?)
- Questioning (questions the teacher asks to uncover what the student does/does not know…as well as stretch student thinking)
- Descriptive Feedback (specific, timely feedback that students understand and can use to improve performance)
- Self and peer assessment (students use the criteria to judge their own work or the work of others)
- All of these combined promote student ownership of the learning and assessment process.
December 2016 – No General Meeting
January 25, 2017 – Mental Wellness and Resources
- Jan 25 2017 Agenda
- Nov 2016 GM Minutes
- Jan 2017 President’s Report
- Jan 2017 Financial Report
- Handouts from Michelle Schmidt:, Director of Instruction – Student Support
February 22, 2017- Gangs, Drugs and Awareness – presentation from RCMP, BC Ambulance and Surrey School District
Due to the sensitive nature of the topics presented by the RCMP, BC Ambulance and Surrey School District, there were no handouts and powerpoint presentation is not ‘shareable’.
March, 2017 – No General Meeting
April 24, 2017 (Monday) – GM/ BC Election 2017 – Surrey All Candidates Meeting
Surrey DPAC is hosting all Surrey candidates to participate on a panel to discuss issues surrounding education funding, safety & crime, and the impacts of lack of resources for our students.
We invite Surrey parents, students, teachers, and citizens to come hear from the candidates running in the upcoming May 9, 2017 general election: how they would address our challenges in Surrey and advocate for education funding on behalf of Surrey families and students.
Due to time limitations, please submit your questions in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org. If time permits, candidates may take questions from the audience.
Handouts about the Surrey School District and Electoral Ridings:
- Surrey School District 5-year Capital Plan 2016-2017
- Surrey School District: Schools closed for Out of catchment students
- Candidates List and Electoral Ridings
Handouts for GM:
- Apr 24 Agenda
- Feb 22 Minutes
- Apr 24 President’s Report
- Apr 24 Financial Report and 2017-18 Proposed Budget
BCCPAC Resolutions for 2017 Spring Conference (May 5 to 7 at Guildford Sheraton Hotel): Surrey DPAC will provide recommendations on their “vote” and registered PACs, please bring your proxy form or email to email@example.com if you are not attending the Spring Conference.
APRIL 26, 2017 GM was rescheduled to APRIL 24, 2017 due to availability of candidates.
May 24, 2017 (GM, AGM, DPAC Election)
Topic: Supreme Court of Canada Decision & Surrey School District
Superintendent Dr. Jordan Tinney will provide an overview and update on the Supreme Court of Canada decision on class composition and size.
DPAC Election: If parents of an enrolled student(s) in K – 12 in Surrey SD36 would like to volunteer and advocate on broad issues, please run for a Board of Director position. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Every parent is welcome. Please bring a friend.”
Parents helping parents learn more about our education system
Address: 14033 – 92 Avenue, Surrey, BC. V3V 0B7.